Re: [css3-ui] styling of form elements

On Nov 12, 2010, at 3:39 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com> wrote:
>> As for my larger issue, what I would expect the UI behavior to be is that the existing HTML4 code used to produce the existing pop-up-menu, list-menu and radio-group examples could all have their rendering overridden such that use of the appearance property would force any of those three sets of HTML code to render and behave like any of the other two.  Similarly, the checkbox-group HTML code could be styled using the appearance property to look like a multi-select version of the list-menu HTML code and vice-versa.
>>
>> I would expect the user agent to respect however I styled it.
>
> Don't worry, that's the intention.  Forms are saddled with enormous
> legacy implications, so this area needs baby steps.  ^_^

There used to be a concern about author-styled HTML that could exceed the window boundaries, as pop-up menus do, because if those were fully stylable someone could then make one look like an OS window or something, and fool you into doing something terrible. I'm not sure how big a worry this is any more, when SproutCore, etc. can do a pretty credible job anyway, and when video can go full screen.