Re: [css3-background] New use case for background-position-x (&y!)

On 10 November 2010 23:23, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2010, at 8:35 AM, "Markus Ernst" <derernst@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> I do not know whether there are explicit use cases for this, but the
>> background-position property as a shorthand is not really intuitive; I
>> myself have to check a manual every time I need this property, because I
>> always forget the order of the values. So, for some authors, separate
>> properties would make a little thing a little bit easier.
>
> I'm more sympathetic to this line of thought, as I also have to pause to
> think which dimension comes first (it's the opposite of when you specify two
> length for, say, margin). However, I think this has already improved a lot
> in the latest spec, because now you can be very explicit about the edge to
> measure from. For instance:
>
> background-position: left 10px top 15px;

But unless I misread the specification, you still have to remember the
order to do this.  I mean, is "top 15px left 10px" allowed?

If the order was consistent with the top, right, bottom, left sequence
used for margin & padding shorthand, it might be easier to commit to
memory.

--
Lee
www.webdeavour.co.uk