Re: [css3-text-layout] New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc.

"Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:

> Are you saying that you know precise algorithm that allows
> you to detect display:ltr and display:ttb runs of say Chinese
> characters?

If you are unfamiliar with UAX#9, I doubt this discussion is going
anywhere useful.  But at a high level, the details of the algorithm are
irrelevant.  There must be *some* algorithm, or the characters could
not be drawn at all!  My position is just that styling based on writing
direction should observe the result of that algorithm, rather than just
one of its inputs (@dir).

> If "yes" then what would be such split on the phrase:
> "I live in Sheraton hotel" where only "Sheraton" is written
> in Latin? And what exactly you want to do with the result?

UAX#9 specifies the behavior in this case.

> Selector like "::rtl p" tells me that you have
> gets somehow RTL directionality automatically? How exactly?

UAX#9.

> And why it is not the <p> element itself?

Because direction changes do not necessarily line up with element
boundaries.

zw