Re: [flex-units] unit abbreviations and the flex()

On May 28, 2010, at 8:52 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> suspect that the either the way the fil unit or the "plus" operator
> works in TeX prevents it from ever representing a negative value.  If
> you see "plus 1fil", you know that it will *only* increase the value,
> never decrease, while "minus 1fil" only decreases, never increases.
>
> Coming from a world with those sorts of assumptions, it makes sense to
> me as to why Zack's somewhat unhappy with calc(10px + 1fl).  I don't
> think that's necessarily a reason to cater to those assumptions, but I
> understand them.  ^_^

Sure, I understand how his experience gives him an odd point of view for this. But I think Web authors, like myself, are more likely to be familiar with JavaScript and with normal math (where adding a negative is the same as subtracting a positive, and where a "+" is most commonly used this way [or for concatenation, which doesn't apply here]), than with TeX and its "plus" operator.