Re: Fw: RE: [css-flexbox] Summary of planned changes to Flexbox Module

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have not noticed the warning of margins collapsing in the new draft. Please say it was accidentally copied from elsewhere and you didn't really mean it.

What's wrong with margin-collapsing?  I like collapsing margins.  We
should certainly have control over whether they collapse or not, but
collapsing by default is, I think, the most useful thing to do.

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Not necessarily.  Say two adjacent margins are calc(20px+1fl) and
>> calc(10px+2fl).  I think we could get away with collapsing their
>> pieces separately, so it's equivalent to a single margin with
>> calc(20px+2fl).
>

> That's actually a spec change.

A change to which spec?

> And you still have an equivalent problem when
> you collapse 20px with 2fl, as it turns out. At least some set of cases
> reduce to the problem of solving for F an equation of the form
>    sum_over_i( max(m_i, k_i F) ) = N
> It's piecewise-linear, but increasing and continuous in F so it's not that
> hard. It just adds to the complexity.
>
> But actually, it seems to me the equations you'll have to solve aren't any
> more complex than you get when you introduce min-width and max-width. So
> maybe this is a non-issue.

Exactly; collapsing margins shouldn't be any more difficult than
dealing with min/max-width

> I'd definitely like to see at least pseudocode
> for the flex assignment algorithm though.

Sure.  I'll have something on the list on Thursday; I'm still taking a
class all day during work right now, and try to limit the amount of
work I do at home.  ^_^