Re: [css3-fonts] various comments and typos

Bert Bos wrote:

> h) Section 6.4: Titling caps may look wrong in a caps-and-lowercase
> word, maybe there should be a note that this feature is typically used
> together with 'text-transform: uppercase'.

Actually, I think this concept of 'Titling Capitals' needs to be
re-thought. The OpenType Layout feature <titl> does not specify capitals
at all, only 'Titling' forms. While a number of font implementations
provide only capitals in Titling form, there is nothing in the feature
description to limit glyph coverage to capitals.

My suggestion for implementation in CSS would be

titling-forms
which would implement whatever lookups are in the font <titl> feature,
while preserving the case of the text run.

this could then be used in combination with 'text-transform: uppercase'
if all-caps titling is desired.

> j) Section 6.5, under "diagonal-fractions": the illustration makes it
> look as if the the three characters "1/3" turn into a ligature, but that
> is not the case. The feature chooses between two styles for the
> predefined fractions in Unicode: ¼ ½ ¾ ⅓ ⅔ ⅕ ⅖, etc.

Not if implemented in OpenType Layout. A font can support arbitrary
fractions, using contextual substitutions of numerator and denominator,
without reliance on Unicode predefined fractions or, indeed, even the
presence of precomposed glyphs for such fractions.

John Hudson