Re: Are CSS animations a done deal?

2010-03-30 19:19, Chris Marrin skrev:

> Right. I've been reading files with CSS Animations, Transitions and
> Transforms in them for a long time. And it's not only
 > much easier to read such descriptions, it's easier to write them
> in a clear and easy to understand way.

This is my question:

Can we do animations in a declarative style that are equally clear and
understandable, but is not CSS?

This thread has gotten replies defending the concept of declarative
animation as such. Nobody is questioning that. At least I am not.

This thread has got replies about the intended usage of CSS animation,
but NOT A SINGLE REPLY about user expectations in the event the
technology gets abused.

A user that runs NoScript will still see CSS animations, is that an
expected result? How long will it take until we see multiple bugs in
Webkits's and Mozilla's bugzillas asking for a way to disable animations?

How are you preparing to handle the abuse?

And how are you going to handle the valid use cases when animations are
triggered by all kinds of events? Why must library authors code around
limitations in the technology that really serve no purpose except to
preserve the details from the original idea?

Kudos to Apple for coming up with this idea, but can it not be improved?

I am not suggesting removing a tool from authors, but improving it.

--
Lars Gunther
http://keryx.se/