Re: Frameset/Frame Specification Amendment (HTML+CSS)

On Mar 26, 2010, at 10:56 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Axel Dahmen <brille1@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Frames are a great way for splitting a document into several
>> distinct areas
>> and for providing a dynamic, resizable, easy-to-use head/navigation/
>> content
>> view.
>
> I will greatly disagree here.  Frames have a number of important and
> crippling problems

I think we all understand that there is much fear and loathing of
frames, even amongst those who would use AJAX in the same way,
experiencing the same sort of problems.

But in spite of the viseral knee-jerk reactions some people have
against them, the question wasn't about whether or not we liked them.
They are valid HTML, and it is appropriate for us to discuss and
possibly address problems they have with styling and presentation, and
the current limitations of CSS to deal with those issues.

This should not be a discussion about the merits of frames as a design
element, or debating the pros and cons of the dogma of the anti-frames
religion. Even deprecated items can typically receive CSS styling.
Frames ARE still in use, and COULD be made more compatible with using
CSS for their current non-CSS presentational aspects  Your distate for
their use is no reason to try to shut down discussion about their
styling.

> Again, an HTML issue.  If HTML is dictating presentation, and browsers
> are paying attention to it, then we can't do anything about it.

Sure we can, even if we don't change the syntax of the HTML. We could
simply explain the HTML presentation as being due to a UA stylesheet
that describes that presentation, and allow it to be overridden.
That's certainly been done before, many times.