Re: [CSS21] Height of cell box should not be influenced by 'height'

On Tuesday 2008-01-01 19:34 +0100, Bruno Fassino wrote:
> L. David Baron wrote:
> > But actually, one additional change would be needed so that we don't
> > break row height calculation.  In the previous paragraph, we should
> > either change:
> >
> > # MIN depends on cell box heights and cell box alignment (much like
> > # the calculation of a line box height).
> >
> > to say:
> >
> > # MIN depends on cell box heights, the 'height' property of of the
> > # cells, and cell box alignment (much like the calculation of a line
> > # box height).
> >
> > or we should change:
> >
> > # it is the maximum of the row's specified 'height' and the minimum
> > # height (MIN) required by the cells
> >
> > to say:
> >
> > # it is the maximum of the row's specified 'height', the specified
> > # 'height's for each of the cells, and the minimum height (MIN)
> > # required by the cells
> >

> > I'm not sure which change is better, but there's a difference.
>

> If I'm not missing the point, then it seems that there is currently no
> agreement among browsers. A simple test case
> http://www.brunildo.org/test/td_height1.html shows that in Safari (3.0.4)
> and in Firefox (2.0.11, 3 beta)  baseline vertical alignment of cells may
> make a row taller than the heights specified on single cells.  In Opera
> (9.25, 9.5) and in IE (6, 7) this doesn't happen (unless required by cells
> content.)
> FWIW, I prefer your second formulation (but this would make FF and Safari
> wrong?)

I'm not sure that IE 6 and 7 are relevant here, since I don't think
IE6 supported vertical-align: baseline on table cells; at least IE8
in Compatibility Mode does not.

In any case, I wrote a testcase here:
  http://dbaron.org/css/test/2010/css21-issue-26
that both checks the prerequisites and tests for the behavior on the
unresolved issue.

Gecko and WebKit behave one way, and IE8 behaves the other.  (All
three of them pass the first two tests, but Gecko and WebKit make
the middle four tables taller than the first two and the last two,
whereas IE8 makes all the tables in the third set the same height.)

-David