On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2010, at 10:52 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
> wrote:
>
>> For your example here, all you need to do is write this instead:
>>
>>  sup {
>>   vertical-align: -.4em;
>>   font-size: .8em;
>>  }
>
> My point is that this assumes that vertical-align us the only way people
> will want to deal with the fallback for SUP, and that assumption is
> erroneous, and will cause confusion for those using a different way.

That is, however, the "official" way to do it.  As well, if you're
providing a font with the correct super/subscript characters already,
you should hopefully be reasonable sure that the font will display, so
that it will only *not* show up in a network-error fallback solution,
where exact appearance is less important, so you don't need to employ
special just-so rules to get the rendering how you want.