Re: font-specific feature handling

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Christopher Slye <cslye@adobe.com> wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2010, at 5:19 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
> >> Another approach, which I raised the previous time we discussed this, is
> >> allow font-specific features (i.e., numbered features) everywhere, but
> >> (outside @font-face) we only apply those features where the font being
> used
> >> to render the text is the first font in the font-family property.
> >
> > That's probably the easiest, though it's kind of weird.
>
> I agree -- easy, and slightly weird. But what if you really did want to
> apply it to a fallback font?

Inevitably, we'll have "new" versions of OpenType fonts, where the font name
> will be different (e.g. new "WarnockSuperFab" vs old "WarnockPro") but they
> will both have compatible features. And what if the first font is a local
> font that falls back to the same font on the web? Better to use the big font
> on a user's system rather than downloading it, right? I guess it would be
> back to specifying it in @font-face, then.

For that situation, you could write
@font-face {
  font-family: Warnock;
  src: local(WarnockSuperFab), local(WarnockPro), url(WarnockSuperFab.woff)
}
and then "font-family: Warnock; font-variant: alt-set(3)" will work.
Basically, you can move fallback based on font availability out of
font-family into @font-face rules so that the "first family in font-family"
rule works for you.

For more complicated situations, such as applying font-specific features to
multiple fonts selected based on character coverage, you'd need to fall back
on creating lots of @font-face rules with font-specific features in them.
Not great, but perhaps not very common.

Rob
53:5-6]