Re: Background-repeat:extend (for gradients)

On Mar 18, 2010, at 9:23 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> At the telcon, Brad suggested that the infinite version of the
> gradient is the more useful one, and so should be the default, with
> some other backgroung-repeat value used to turn it back into a finite
> image.  I may agree that it would be slightly more useful, but I think
> it's easier to fit into the existing background-repeat system if it's
> finite by default, so that you can then immediately apply the existing
> background-repeat values to it sensically.  As well, we would likely
> still want the 'extend' value anyway, for the noted use-case of
> allowing an SVG image to pop out of its viewport.

I'm OK with the 'extend' value for 'background-repeat'. And since the initial value for 'background-repeat' is 'repeat', then there is really no other default to consider, that I can think of. I just think that, at the very least, 'background-repeat: repeat' should repeat the image as it would with any other image, even if there is no special behavior for angled gradients (although I still think a little special behavior would be even better).