Re: [css3-fonts] opentype font feature support

Christopher Slye wrote:

> I think UAs should respect kerning as any other default "always on"
> layout feature like liga or locl, rather than making it a UA setting
> -- although I appreciate the practical reasons why a UA might want to
> disable it, e.g. below some ppm size. However, this makes me wonder
> about the language in the Fonts module, section 6, Font rendering
> properties:
>
> "All of these properties assume that fonts define a given set of
> default rendering styles ..."
>
> We're talking about defaults dictated by the OpenType features
> registry, with regard to what is on or off by default, correct? These
> are not "defined by the font". The font just contains layout features
> that the UA enables, and some should/must be enabled by default.
> Perhaps you mean "the font format"?

I think you're right, this section should be much clearer about default
behavior.  I was trying to keep the language font format neutral but
maybe that's a silly goal in this case, it just seems to muddy the
meaning too much.  I'll rework that in the next set of edits.

The keyword 'normal' is commonly used in CSS to indicate 'default', it's
the value a property will typically assume when it's not specified
explicitly.  I realize 'default' might seem more natural to some but
consistency with other CSS properties is important.

Regards,

John Daggett
Mozilla Japan