Re: [css3-background] background-shorthand and its background-clip side-effect

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On it's own it not too bad, but as a way to disambiguate between two
> subproperties in in 'background' that take the same values, it is
> inconsistent with any of the proposals to disambiguate <bg-position> and
> <bg-size>.  I don't think this serves authors as well, ultimately, who
> currently have no expectations of how this disambiguation should occur.

The position/size disambiguation needs to be more complex, because
there is added possibility of confusion.  Both properties can have one
or two value, so if you see two lengths next to each other, you can't
tell whether it's just one property being specified or two being given
a single value.  Similarly, if you see 3 values you can't tell which
property gets a pair and which gets a singleton.

There is no such ambiguity in this case.

~TJ