RE: [css3-background] background-shorthand and its background-clip side-effect

> From: Brad Kemper [mailto:brad.kemper@gmail.com]

> On it's own it not too bad, but as a way to disambiguate between two
> subproperties in in 'background' that take the same values, it is
> inconsistent with any of the proposals to disambiguate <bg-position>
> and <bg-size>.  I don't think this serves authors as well, ultimately,
> who currently have no expectations of how this disambiguation should
> occur.

I'm not sure I follow. Once both properties have the same set of values
then isn't a well-defined sequence the only way to disambiguate them in
shorthand short of including a functional notation ? You can come up with
a different separator but you still have a define a sequence, no ?

And if there are no expectations of how this should be done, then I would
argue we should keep it as simple as possible. Given that the two properties
share the same values, specifying them together is not unintuitive. If you
get the order wrong, I'd think you'd notice right away in most cases.