RE: Haptics CSS extension proposal

> On Jun 24, 2010, at 11:55 PM, <kim.1.gronholm@nokia.com> wrote:
>
> > Regarding the use of the appearance property to specify
> tactile feedback: Clearly the tactile feedback is a new
> thing, and what is the best way for enabling developers to
> define tactile feedback for web elements, is not a simple
> question.
(snip)

> > Currently the key use case is to be able to create custom
> JS controls that have the same tactile feedback than native
> controls of the underlying platform. This is independent from
> the appearance, would you agree? Same goes for links: It
> should be possible to implement a custom control that feels
> like a link without actually being a traditional link.
>
> I don't know. Currently, there are visual and behavior
> qualities of some OS controls that are hard or impossible to
> recreate using just CSS and DIVs, even without haptics. I
> think it would certainly be reasonable to have haptics in
> JavaScript, and since you are talking about JS controls, that
> would seem to be enough (use touch events to trigger them).

The issue to me is that if each website developer develops their
own haptic vocabulary (checkbox expressed as this sensation,
link as that sensation), site visitors would need to learn a new
haptic "dialect" for each website (much as they do now visually
for sites that mess with default link appearance).

Ideally, the browser manufacturers would agree on a default
haptic behavior, and sites would only override those if there
was a specific good reason.  On the other hand, a haptics-using
site visitor might want to override certain haptic properties
in their personal style sheet.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster