Re: [css3-background] vastly different takes on "blur"

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:20 AM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> On 06/23/2010 11:14 AM, Brendan Kenny wrote:
>>
>> Just to be clear, aren't the mockups for each option going to be the
>> same thing? For instance, wouldn't Simon's example
>>
>> http://smfr.org/misc/shadow.html
>>
>> just be accompanied by the question
>>
>> "Would you describe this as 'blur: 8px' or 'blur: 16px'?"
>>
>> ?
>
> The examples should be diagrammed with dimensions, so there's
> no guessing e.g. how big the opaque part is compared to the
> original box. I think it's interesting to note that the blur
> centers on the edge of the shadow: I suspect many people had
> not realized that. (I didn't, until working on this aspect of
> the spec.)
>
> If we also want realistic examples (rather than complete offsets
> like in Simon's example), we'd want one with an offset shadow,
> and another with zero offsets to show the common use cases.

By the way, I've posed a text-based survey on Facebook, and gotten a
few fairly consistent answers.

The question is:
"""
Quick survey for you web-designy people: The syntax for box-shadow is
x-offset, then y-offset, then blur. Now, if you see "box-shadow: 0px
0px 10px gray;", how far out from the box do you expect the blurred
shadow to extend? 5px? 10px? 20px? A different number dictated by some
gaussian function?
"""

Currently I have 4 people responding.  2 have made it clear that the
expect the blur length to be the amount the blur extends from the base
shadow (so the total blur area is double the specified blur length).
1 isn't completely clear, but *appears* to be saying the same thing.
The fourth is Sylvain, and he and I are having a confusing discussion,
so I'm not sure what he actually wants.