Re: [css3-text-layout] New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc.

On Jun 7, 2010, at 9:06 PM, MURAKAMI Shinyu wrote:

> - cannot write basic default stylesheet.
>  for example, in CSS2.1 Appendix D. Default style sheet for HTML 4:
>
>    h1              { font-size: 2em; margin: .67em 0 }
>    h2              { font-size: 1.5em; margin: .75em 0 }
>    h3              { font-size: 1.17em; margin: .83em 0 }
>    h4, p, blockquote, ul, fieldset, form, ol, dl, dir,
>    menu            { margin: 1.12em 0 }
>    blockquote      { margin-left: 40px; margin-right: 40px }
>    ol, ul, dir,
>    menu, dd        { margin-left: 40px }
>
> This only works when writing-mode is lr-tb. If MQ can be used as:
>    @media (dir: ltr) {
>    }
>    @media (dir: rtl) {
>    }
>    @media (dir: ttb) {
>    }

Why can default style sheets not contain media queries?

On Jun 7, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> I do not see how this is useful.  What if I want part of the page
> to be TTB and another part to be LTR?

That would be done via a rule with 'writing-mode:ttb', for instance, in which case you can put appropriate physical widths, margins, etc. into the same rule (or rules for its dependents).