Re: [CSS21] The width/height properties list-item, run-in and table-* display types

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 7/29/10 5:25 PM, Anton Prowse wrote:
>> The word 'element' is used everywhere else, including the subsection
>> headings.
>
> Yes, and I agree that the playing fast an loose with box vs element is
> annoying, but "block-level element" doesn't mean "element with 'display'
> set to 'block'".  It means an element that generates a block-level box.

Precisely; that's the point (and why I was mistaken in my original
post).  List-items are block-level elements (and are therefore covered
by 10.3):

   # 9.2.1 Block-level elements and block boxes
   #
   # Block-level elements are those elements of the source document that
   # are formatted visually as blocks (e.g., paragraphs). Several values
   # of the 'display' property make an element block-level: 'block',
   # 'list-item', and 'run-in' (part of the time; see run-in boxes), and
   # 'table'.

>> On the other hand, the other run-ins are inline-level elements, not
>> inline elements, and so are not covered.
>
> "inline element" means "element with an inline box", not "element with
> 'display' set to 'inline'".

Not so; or at least that's one of the things that hopefully we'll clear
up.  Currently the spec says:

   # 9.2.2 Inline-level elements and inline boxes
   #
   # Inline-level elements are those elements of the source document that
   # do not form new blocks of content; the content is distributed in
   # lines (e.g., emphasized pieces of text within a paragraph, inline
   # images, etc.). Several values of the 'display' property make an
   # element inline: 'inline', 'inline-table', 'inline-block' and
   # 'run-in' (part of the time; see run-in boxes). Inline-level elements
   # generate inline boxes.

and the proposal in [1] is

s/make an element inline/make an element inline-level/

>> But this should be addressed as part of the great box cleanup in [1]
>
> Yeah.

>> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Jul/0383.html

Cheers,
Anton Prowse