Re: [CSS3 Values] "rem" unit underdefined when there is no root element

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>> In what situations do you have no root element?
>
> When someone has removed it from the DOM from JS.  Note that after that
> point style data might still need to be computed for getComputedStyle calls
> (which is how I encountered the situation).

Cool, that's what I'd thought, I just wanted to make sure there
weren't more situations I hadn't thought of.

> dbaron also mentioned that might be media query situations which have
> similar issues, but I don't know the details.

Ah, I see.

I suppose, then, we just need to find a way to "re-root" a tree?  Just
seek up the element-tree until you find a parentless element?