Re: if conditions again

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:47:20 +0200
> Von: Sebastian Hennebrueder <usenet@laliluna.de>

> This is leeds to a general question. How do we want browsers deal with
> CSS versions? I thought that it is simpler to create CSS rules, if you
> just need to do think like:
>
> I have CSS support for 2.1 so I can solve my look and feel this way but
> if I have support for CSS 3, then I can solve my problem this way.

I do not really understand the task to be solved. I could see the benefit of if-statements, if you could get computed values, such as:

div#content { background-image:url(normalImg.gif); }
@if (div#content.computedWidth > 500px) {
  div#content { background-image:url(biggerImg.gif); }
}

Or:

.footer { font-size:0.7em; }
@if (0.7em < 10px) {
  .footer { font-size:10px; }
}

But what is the use case for questioning versions? Declarations not supported will be ignored anyway, and AFAICS most CSS 3 specific features could not be mimicked with older CSS, without modifications in the HTML code or scripting. (I know I use Conditional comments all the time, but usually not because of unsupported properties, but rather because of implementation differencies.)