Re: if conditions again

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:47 AM, Sebastian Hennebrueder
<usenet@laliluna.de> wrote:
> This is leeds to a general question. How do we want browsers deal with CSS
> versions? I thought that it is simpler to create CSS rules, if you just need
> to do think like:
>
> I have CSS support for 2.1 so I can solve my look and feel this way but if I
> have support for CSS 3, then I can solve my problem this way.
>
> If every browser implements another combination of features, then in worst
> case you need to think like:
>
> 20 % of my visitors use a browser that supports x, y and z so I can create
> my look and feel with the following CSS rules and another 10 % have the
> combination of y, k and l so I need to use another approach.
>
> Many layout decisions are not based on a single CSS feature but requires
> many to build the complete CSS rules. You need a lot more browser specific
> knowledge to check for a reasonable set of support features.

The only way this would work is if browsers all implemented all CSS
features in the same order.  This might actually simplify things a
lot, and it would waste a lot less implementer effort, but it would
require much tighter coordination and central control over
implementation.  It would also mean that problems would be more likely
to be uncovered once several implementations are already shipping
rather than just one, and it would be a hassle when a particular
feature is much easier for one implementer to implement than another.

This is really up to implementers to decide on, but it's a radical
change and I don't see it happening soon to the extent necessary for
your approach to be even possible.