Re: Pseudo-selector for virtual elements

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Andrés Sanhueza
<peroyomaslists@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/7/12 Eduard Pascual <herenvardo@gmail.com>:
>> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In any case, now I am even more convinced that a request for a CSS
>> feature to work-around the mark-up's inability to describe a structure
>> is quite a symptom of a flaw on the mark-up language. In other words,
>> the use cases should be addressed by HTML through explicit structuring
>> elements.
>
> I agree, but there are cases where it is justified, like if I want to
> group several <li> in a list for showing something like a table where
> an actual table isn't appropriate (like an image gallery). If I
> instead do something like this:
>
> <ul>
> <ligroup>
> <li></li>
> <li></li>
> <li></li>
> </ligroup>
> <ligroup>
> <li></li>
> <li></li>
> <li></li>
> </ligroup>
> <ligroup>
> <li></li>
> <li></li>
> </ligroup>
> </ul>
>
> I'm using the grouping element merely for presentational purposes—as
> in dividing a row of each one and keeping three columns, so a CSS
> workaround is desirable.

Aren't CSS Grid Positioning [1] and display:table-* [2] supposed to
address those "looks like a table but is not tabular data" cases?

In any case, I'm not against this proposal: I think it's a quite
interesting feature that may be solving some current problems but in
addition provides a new tool for web artists and designers to squeeze
their creativity. I just wanted to highlight how your initial use-case
exposed a significant flaw on HTML's design.

Regards,
Eduard Pascual

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-grid/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/CR-CSS2-20090908/tables.html