Re: updated CSS Snapshot request; serious accessibility problem with CSS deliverables schedule

On 07/14/2010 08:10 AM, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
> aloha!
>
> i am writing to you as an individual who just happens to be a member
> of the Protocols&  Formats working group (http://www.w3.org/wai/pf)
> and who just happens to be blind.
>
> As part of my responsibilities for the PFWG, i have been attempting
> to assist in the effort to track, coordinate and facilitate reviews of
> all CSS modules as they are developed, so that any accessibility
> concerns and/or needs can be addressed during the developmental stage,
> and not merely through comments when a draft reaches Last Call or
> Candidate Recommendation status. Consult, for example:
>
> http://www.w3.org/wai/pf/wiki/CSS
>
> i have been using the "CSS Snapshot 2007"
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/css-beijing) since it was released, as a
> timeline/roadmap of CSS3 module development, but the last version of
> that document to be issued is datestamped 2008-05-16 and a lot of
> activity has transpired since that date.
>
> Is the Style Activity/CSS WG working on an update the CSS Snapshot
> document?  Is there an editor's draft of the CSS Snapshot that
> presents an up-to-date summation of CSS3 module development,
> deployment and timeline?

The CSSWG just resolved today that the 2007 Snapshot should
include the CSS Styling Attributes spec to the 2007 snapshot,
because it's specifying a feature that has existed longer than
even CSS2, but was never fully specified. But it should need
no other changes.

To add new CSS3 modules we would issue a new snapshot. However,
afaik no other modules have yet reached the stability levels
we're aiming for in a snapshot. [1] (Media Queries is a good
candidate, but we'd need some test data to make that decision.)

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css-beijing/#intro

> The reason behind this request is that -- as a blind user -- i cannot
> use the CSS Working Group/Style Activity's deliverables schedule page
> located at:
>
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work
>
> there, color coding is used to indicate the development status of the
> Style Activity's individual drafts. While there is a legend for the color
> coding used in the chart:
>
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work#legend

In the first table the spec status names are written out in full.
In subsequent tables, they are abbreviated, with the abbreviations
listed in the legend you're pointing to. In both cases, the color
codes are used to highlight the statuses (a different color is
assigned to each status), and convey no additional information.

I don't see how the use of color here makes the page inaccessible.
Is there something I'm misunderstanding?

~fantasai