Re: [css3-background] Where we are with Blur value discussion

On Tuesday 2010-07-13 18:20 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:24 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> > (I'm not saying "radius" is the only term already in use.
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/filters.html#feGaussianBlurElement
> > describes blurs in terms of the standard deviation of the Gaussian
> > function.)
>
> Looking at the SVG link explicitly now, I'd have to say that's pretty
> horrible.  It's useful for an implementor, but has literally zero
> useful information for an author.  Reading that, I have absolutely no
> clue what this filter actually does, how it does it, or what the
> effect is of the values I can provide it.

I'm not sure how useful it is for implementors either.

> The only way to be more author-hostile would be to have just provided
> raw source code.

I'm not saying I like the text.  I'm saying that we shouldn't use
different vocabulary from the rest of the world.

And I'm also not sure what this text will look like once it's gone
through the type of stabilization and clarification that CSS 2.1
has.

-David