Re: [CSS21] [css3-text] Generated content should respect Unicode line and paragraph separators

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 01:54:24PM -0700, fantasai wrote:
> In generated content, we currently only allow implementations to
> break at Line Feed characters \A, having chosen to go the LF
> route instead of CR or CRLF or AnythingGoes.
>
> But we should also honor line breaks from the Unicode Line
> Separator and Paragraph Separator characters. Unlike CR and LF,
> these have unambiguous line-breaking semantics. They also have
> very specific (and different) behavior for bidi resolution.

Something relevant to the question of how CSS should handle line separator
and paragraph separator characters is
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#didx-white_space-1 :

  Note that although
 and
 are defined in [ISO10646] to
  unambiguously separate lines and paragraphs, respectively, these do not
  constitute line breaks in HTML, nor does this specification include them in
  the more general category of white space characters.

I'm not saying anything about what CSS should do, just that the above
seems relevant to the decision of what CSS should say about the question.

pjrm.