From: rocallahan@gmail.com [mailto:rocallahan@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Robert O'Callahan
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:30 PM
To: fantasai
Cc: Sylvain Galineau; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [CSS21] Issue 149 - px vs. pt

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 5:08 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
Right. If I'm designing a touch UI, which is one of the use cases
that Mozilla is concerned with, I'd want real dimensions, not the
size of some imaginary canvas. Not being able to get those
dimensions even through media queries, which were specifically
designed to do this, would be a very frustrating problem.

Media queries should have the ability to get the true screen size, for the same set of situations where authors would use a true physical unit. And we can handle it the same way, just by using that new physical unit.

@media screen and (min-width: 100truemm) and (max-width: 200truemm) { ... }

I know, it kinda sucks to have to have truemm (or some bikeshed-equivalent) as well as mm, but I'm convinced we do.

Rob
--
"He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all." [Isaiah 53:5-6]