Re: Proposal: parent selectors

On 1/21/10 6:44 PM, Eduard Pascual wrote:
> Missing calls to ResumeLayout would be a problem, but a solvable one.
>  From the top of my head, the UA could "resume" rendering after some
> delay without scripts running. The details of that would still need to
> be sorted out; and maybe there are better solutions, but an example of
> a solution is enough to prove that a solution exists.

The thing is, for :has the resumeLayout thing wouldn't help much anyway,
as far as I can tell.

 > I overlooked the difference between what an author
> knows about the document and what the UA knows.

Right; that's a key issue in a lot of this stuff.  Some decent telepathy
and AI on the part of the UA would do wonders for things like that.  ;)

> Something else: it's ok for a feature to have a greater impact on a
> page that abuses it as long as pages that don't use it or use it
> sparingly are much less affected.

The thing is, one person's abuse is another's necessity....  So the
general goal in practice is "try to be fast no matter what the web page
does, if possible".  Not always possible, of course.

> The fact is that there is a rising demand for a descendant selector,
> exemplified by the amount of times this request has been brought to
> discussion on this list (and a need, proved by the use-cases brought
> forward into the discussions). Sooner or later, this will get into
> CSS.

Yep.  Basically as soon as someone sits down and writes the code and it
passes performance tests it'll get into web browsers too....

> I'm aware some of my mails may seem "aggressive" or hostile

Actually, not at all.

-Boris