Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

On Jan 10, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>
wrote:

> As I've said before, if we're going to change the basis of "pt", we
> need to change ALL the current "physical" units in the same way.
> Anything else is a recipe for even more confusion -- besides the
> risk of making CSS look somewhat ridiculous.

This is my view too. A point is 1/72 of an inch (more or less).
Especially in print media, if I specify a box width in inches, or the
border width in mm (or fractions thereof or of an inch), then that's
how big I expect them to be printed, regardless of how far away the
paper is to be viewed. Similarly, if I am designing an electronic
billboard where I know the size, and which (like paper) has a wide
variety of decent viewing distances, then I see no reason why I should
be prevented from setting the padding in inches and a div in feet.