RE: Text selector [was Re: breaking overflow]

On Wednesday, January 06, 2010, at 7:21 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
>> It seems like this is fundamentally a question of goals.
>> Should CSS strive to enable any desired presentation of a
>> document, regardless of its structure?
>
> I don't think there is a need to rethink the strategy behind
> the other 99.9% of CSS. I am only proposing one tremendously
> powerful addition that fits within the general idea of
> pseudo-elements, and also fits within the existing general
> goal of being able to add presentational style to documents
> without having to alter the markup.

This would also support accessibility, specifically the speech behavior
of aural style sheets, in particular site-wide enforcing of
pronunciation of particular words which might not be in a screen
reader's vocabulary or which might have a local pronunciation, e.g.,
Clement Street in San Francisco being pronounced cluh-ment rather than
cleh-mint.

Of course, that would mean that any exceptions to that pronunciation
would have to be marked up to not follow the style sheet's aural style,
e.g. "Clement weather" occurring at the beginning of a sentence.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster