Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it is a practical issue. Please don't assume a use case is
> invalid if you haven't run into it yourself.

I didn't.  That's why my post was phrased as a question, not a
statement of fact ("Is this a practical issue?" vs. "This is not a
practical issue").

> I ran into this problem just a few months ago, after looking up dozens
> of glyphs in the charts, not finding some glyphs, and then found that
> I needed to change most of the others to images (with appropriate
> alternate text, of course) after finding that they are not displayable
> on most systems.

What language was this, and why did you need it?  I'm curious.  Even
if it came up for you, I'm pretty sure it's not common enough to
outweigh any other concerns raised, especially since it should get
still less common with time.  Although, I don't think anyone is
talking about banning px for font sizing, we're just talking about
redefining physical units to be relative to px instead of really
physical.