RE: Making pt a non-physical unit

On Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:07 PM Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> My not-so-limited experience with a 133dpi monitor and Windows was
> that setting the 'font DPI' to something else than 96 made almost
> every single application break in one way or another (even for simple
> UI elements like dialogs), so I would say that the problem there might
> lie more in the o/s feature than in a specific app issue.
> Additionally, in those case it's probably possible to consider how the
> user setting compensates already for the different monitor DPI and act
> accordingly.

FWIW, I am using my laptop running WinXP in three different hardware configurations - docked with dual external monitors in the office, docked with a single external monitor at home, and standalone with laptop screen - all three configurations having different display DPI settings, with only one of them (Office/dual displays) being set to 96 dpi. Most applications handle this just fine, with notable exception of web content where sometimes parts of the content are scaled by a browser according to the DPI settings, while some other parts of the content have sizes specified in pixels and remain unchanged (which, according to your comments below, is okay from CSS spec point of view).
I'd rather have the whole content scaled, with zoom capabilities - keeping default 96 dpi settings for hi-res laptop screens makes text almost unreadable and is hardly an option.

Regards,
Vlad