Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> My understanding from a conversation I had on #webkit is that Webkit avoids
> the problem by treating 1pt as 4/3px regardless of the display DPI. I think
> we probably need to do this in Gecko for Web compatibility reasons, and so
> for the sake of honesty in Web specifications, I propose that the definition
> of pt in CSS be altered accordingly.
>
> (At this time, I don't think we need to give up on physical units entirely;
> all the problematic sites I'm aware of are misusing pt, but not mm or in. mm
> remains useful for specifying the dimensions of touch-based interfaces.)

One additional question is what to do with picas. I propose keeping picas at
12 points, i.e., fixing them at 16 CSS pixels, i.e., making them no longer
be a physical unit. I'm not aware of any Web content using picas at all, so
we could leave them as physical units, but that might be unnecessarily
confusing.

Rob
53:5-6]