Re: css3-background: grammar issue

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, fantasai wrote:

> On 02/17/2010 07:46 AM, Yves Lafon wrote:

>>> There is no reason to disallow it on syntactical grounds, but one could
>>> argue that it looks confusing. However, I don't think it is a very
>>> strong argument.
>>
>> Ok, so why is CSS3-background disallowing
>> background: url("foo.png") / 10em black 10em
>> and not
>> background: url("foo.png") 10em black / 10em
>>
>> There is nothing confusing in those two cases, and the generalisation of
>> the simple rule "/ <bg-size> immediately followed by <bg-position>" into
>> "<bg-position> must not occur before '/ <bg-size>" seems like a strange
>> decision as well. Just saying that 'background' can't start with
>> '/ <bg-size>' is in the same range of text-based constraint.
>
> Hello Yves,
> Based on your comments on the background shorthand syntax and the discussion
> in the CSSWG's last telecon
>  <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Feb/0163.html>
>
> I propose the following changes:
>
>  - Change the token '/' to the keyword 'as'
>  - Replace
>      # where ?<bg-position>? must occur before ?/ <bg-size>? if both are present.
>    with
>      | where '<bg-position>' must not occur immediately after 'as <bg-size>'
>
> Would this address your concerns?

Replacing '/' by 'as' will indeed help. The second rule was more an
example that there were "more restrictive than necessary" rules and just
adding one to forbid '/' being first was not out of the line. But the new
wording, "must not occur immediately" will make it easier to check anyway,
so OK for both.
Thanks,

--
Baroula que barouleras, au tiƩu toujou t'entourneras.

         ~~Yves