Re: [css3-values] Adding min() and max() into calc() grammar

Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 December 2009 22:17:48 L. David Baron wrote:
> > In http://www.w3.org/mid/4A71E157.20600@inkedblade.net the working
> > group resolved to add min() and max() to calc(), as well as allowing
> > them at the top level where calc() is allowed.  I don't think
> > anybody has drafted any of the text for this yet, though, so here's
> > an attempt at the grammar, which seems to me to be the main
> > interesting part.
> [...]
> > (I don't see any reason to add min() and max() to <number-term>.)
>
> No reason, except maybe consistency. I don't mind either way.

To minimize Web author confusion, I think the syntax - that is, the
formulas allowed - should be independent of units to the maximum extent
possible, and improper mixing of units should be a semantic error
rather than a parse error.  Thus, I'm in favor of allowing min()/max()
on unitless numbers, even though all current uses may be redundant.

Also, definitely -(expr) should be allowed.

zw