RE: [cssom] Defining getComputedStyle

> From: Anne van Kesteren [mailto:annevk@opera.com]

> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:03:04 +0100, Sylvain Galineau
> <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> > The first set of properties has no resolved value. I assume the
> implied
> > rule is that shorthands don't get resolved ?
>
> That was the idea, but I think what dbaron proposed is better. I.e.
> that
> we return something for shorthand properties as well as more properties
> may evolve into being shorthand properties in the future.

I agree this seems better, and likely least surprising to the caller. I was mostly
wondering whether the 'shorthandedness' of the properties was the only criteria in
this list.

> Right, it is the computed value as defined by CSS 2.1. Maybe I should
> simplify the introduction by stating that for some properties it does
> something different for historical reasons, without trying to go into
> detail.

Right. I don't mean to be slow but I want to make sure I got it right.
As I read it the spec says getComputedStyle() shall return one of:
1. Nothing (modulo earlier comment)
2. The property's used value
3. the property's computed value as defined by CSS2.1

Thus all the properties that fall in #2 are the ones who have historically diverged from CSS2.1
's definition of computed value, right ?

> Do you mean the serialization of each value? That I have yet to define.
> also should make it more clear that the style declaration block
> returned
> needs to have the resolved value for each property the user agent
> supports
> and that if the element is removed from the DOM all properties return
> the
> empty string.

This is the clarification I had in mind.