Re: CSS Transitions and height:auto

On Thursday 2010-02-11 13:40 +0100, Simon Pieters wrote:
> For expandable sections it makes perfect sense to transition between
> height:0 and height:auto. However, this doesn't work in current
> browsers and it seems the spec says it shouldn't work.
>
> Please specify how transitioning to and from height:auto should work.

One way (although not the only way) to specify this would be to
specify how 'auto' works inside calc expressions, such as:
  width: calc(0.7 * auto + 10px)
and then define transitions in at least some cases in terms of
calc.

This is how I would want to implement this, even if the spec didn't
allow 'auto' inside calc() expressions in style sheets.

-David