Re: Implementing contentEditable in CSS3 UI

On 12/18/10 1:36 PM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Charles Pritchard<chuck@jumis.com>  wrote:
>
>> The CSS3 User Interface draft attempts to deprecate (or 'support')
>>   "fourteen HTML4 tags and four HTML4 attributes"
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-css3-userint-20000216
>>
> Note that's a very ancient draft.
>
> I think you want:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-ui/

Thanks, something did feel a little off.

Did the appearance properties get taken up by vendors?

>> I'd like to see contentEditable added to the list.
>>
>> *[contentEditable] {
>>   user-modify: read-write;
>>   user-input: enabled;
>>   user-select: text;
>> }
>>
> Maybe something to consider for the next CSS UI module?

Would be nice. Seems like this CR has been sitting for ~6 years.
I'll try to do some research on it over the next few weeks.

>> It would be nice to see a :spelling style of selector, using the same
>> information leakage protection as a:visited.
>> I'd like something like this to work, eventually:
>> *[spellcheck=false] {
>>   color-invalid-spelling: none;
>>   background-invalid-spelling: none;
>>   text-decoration-invalid-spelling: none;
>> }
>> *[spellcheck=true] {
>>   color-invalid-spelling: none;
>>   background-invalid-spelling: rgba(128,0,0,.5);
>>   text-decoration-invalid-spelling: none;
>> }
>>
> I think a ::invalid-spelling selector (or something similar) would be
> better for tweaking colors and decoration, as it would involve adding
> one selector not three properties.
>
> Likewise, a single property to enable/disable spellcheck would be
> preferable to some properties to tweak colors/decoration since that
> could easily leave the display out of sync with behavior (e.g. screen
> readers like VoiceOver would still announce spelling errors, if you
> clicked on a spelling error Safari would still give you a list of
> spelling corrections).

When you bring up a property, do you mean a CSS property, or sticking
with the current html 5 draft?

*[spellcheck=true] {
  invalid-spelling: inherit | none | ...
}