RE: Need to clarify the effects of bidi paragraph breaks

> Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:43:21 +1100
> From: alan@css-class.com
> To: aharon@google.com
> CC: www-style@w3.org; fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net; public-i18n-bidi@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Need to clarify the effects of bidi paragraph breaks
>
> On 16/12/2010 4:01 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:
> > On 16/12/2010 9:11 AM, Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin wrote:
> [snip]
> >> Further down in the same major section, the definition of
> >> unicode-bidi:plaintext<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#unicode-bidi>
> >>
> >> states:
> >>
> >> "For the purposes of the Unicode bidirectional algorithm, the base
> >> directionality of each "paragraph" for which the element is the
> >> containing
> >> block element is determined not by the element's computed ‘direction’ as
> >> usual, but by following rules P1, P2, and P3 of the Unicode bidirectional
> >> algorithm."
> >

> > Above I see "which the element." I have know idea what element is being
> > referred to here.
Any element that contains the current and that thus effects its computed direction -- or is this confusing?
> > This paragraph also seems to suggest an added meaning
> > of a containing block. What is a containing block element?

See the definition below of a containing block -- but I am guessing you already have this.

> Should this read *containing block-level element*? I was thinking that
> it was referring to the CSS term, *containing block*.

Hmm yes but in this case it's definitely an element that's been defined as the containing block

A containing block also can be a "viewport"; see:

http://reference.sitepoint.com/css/containingblock
"the value of the position property for that element.
If the value of the position property is static (the default) or relative, the containing block is formed by the edge of the content box of the nearest ancestor element whose display property value is one of:
* block *inline-block *list-item *run-in (only in a block formatting context; see Formatting Concepts *table *table-cell
If the value of the position property is absolute, the containing block is the nearest positioned ancestor—in other words, the nearest ancestor whose position property has one of the values absolute, fixed, or relative. The containing block is formed by the padding edge of that ancestor.
If the value of the position property is fixed, the containing block is the viewport (for continuous media) or the page box (for paged media)."

Hope this helps.

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com