Re: [css3-images] Repeating oblique gradients

On Dec 1, 2010, at 10:22 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>> You said resizing the image is irrelevant to the discussion about filling
>> the background (or perhaps about tiling too, as I had talked about in the
>> part you quoted). I defended why I had brought it up: because it lets you
>> see several tiles at once (if tiling), or the area outside the image (if
>> not). Thus, you can't just pretend that tiling gradient images in
>> backgrounds won't exist. When combined with 'background-size', it is a
>> rather obvious way to get repeating gradients.
>
> I claim it's irrelevant because, well, it is.  ^_^  Gradients are
> finite-sized regardless of the value you give to background-size, and
> thus the interaction between gradients and tiling/etc is always
> present.  You seemed to be stating that setting background-size to a
> non-default value changes things somehow, which is incorrect.

I am not making that claim. I only mention sizing because it is relevant to authors who want to see if the background is extending or not, or if the tiles are tiling (although 'background-position could also let them see the tiling too). Something that goes hand in hand with what we're talking about is not irrelevant to the discussion.