Re: [CSS21] list-item box generation - editorial issues

On 04/08/2010 22:42, fantasai wrote:
> On 07/25/2010 05:21 AM, Anton Prowse wrote:
>> Issue 1.
>>
>> 9.2.1 (Block-level elements and block boxes) says:[1]
>>
>> # Some block-level elements generate additional boxes outside of the
>> # principal box: 'list-item' elements. These additional boxes are
>> # placed with respect to the principal box.
>>
>> s/generate/may generate/ assuming that the additional box in question is
>> the marker box, which may or may not exist, and may or may not be
>> outside the principal block box.
>
> Good catch. This paragraph should also have s/outside of/in addition to/.

Maybe.  I'm not clear whether that was the intent of the original
wording, or whether it was trying to say that there's a box that you
can't target which might be physically outside the principal box.

Note that almost all if not all block-level elements are capable of
generating additional anonymous boxes, depending on the nature of their
content; but none place them outside of their principal box – assuming
that the principal box of a table is the table wrapper box.  Your edit
doesn't put across why list items require special mention.

>> Issue 2.
>>
>> 9.2.4 (The 'display' property)[2] says of the 'list-item' value:
>>
>> # This value causes an element (e.g., LI in HTML) to generate a
>> # principal block box and a list-item inline box.
>>
>> 12.5 (Lists) says:[3]
>>
>> # An element with 'display: list-item' generates a principal box for
>> # the element's content and an optional marker box as a visual
>> # indication that the element is a list item.
>>
>> 12.5 doesn't actually say how the element's content flows (eg box
>> generation), so one assumes it participates in an inline formatting
>> context within the list-item's principal block box. This is supported
>> by the description of the 'inside' value of the list-style-position
>> property:
>>
>> # The marker box is the first inline box in the principal block box,
>> # after which the element's content flows.
>>
>> But then, what is the "list-item inline box" of which 9.2.4 talks? This
>> should probably be reworded.
>>
>> Also, why doesn't that sentence in 9.2.4 mention the marker box? OK,
>> the sentence is followed by "consult the section on lists", but it would
>> hardly hurt to mention the marker box at that point, and would be more
>> coherent and useful.
>
> Right. We need s/inline box/marker box/ in 9.2.4.

Great!  That clears up both parts of the issue.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net