RE: [css3-background] box-shadow spread radius and rounded corners

> From: Brad Kemper [mailto:brad.kemper@gmail.com]

> It is mainly the offsets and lack of blur that make you think
> something doesn't match, as you are looking at an outer edge (of the
> spread) near the edge of a smaller box (the border box). If you
> instead think of a drop shadow as being a glow that is offset (in RL,
> it's the opposite of a glow, because you are subtracting light instead
> of adding it), then you can see that without the offsets and with some
> blur, it looks much more natural if the glow (spread or not) follows
> the curve correctly. Offset it and change the color, and it's now a
> shadow.

That is the other thing I haven't paid enough attention to i.e. that
blurred shadows is the main use-case for this. In which case pixel-perfect
preservation of the edge shape is not the primary concern.

> You can find plenty of online tutorials and help on how to use
> PhotoShop's layer effects to get a drop shadow with spread (or inner
> shadow with choke).

(Time to trade some software with Steve...)

Thanks !