Re: [css3-page] Stability of sections of Paged Media

On Apr 14, 2010, at 4:55 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Further requests from our internal team!
>
> 1. Concerning section 8.2 of the current Editors Draft, where it talks
> about content overflowing the page area, it currently leaves the
> choice of how to deal with this explicitly undefined, and puts "clip
> the content" as the least preferred option.  Our internal team at
> Chrome actually prefers "clip the content" over all other methods,
> since that most closely matches desktop printing standards.  We'd
> prefer that either that list be reordered with "clip the content" as
> the most preferred option, so that they can have some sort of
> assurance that other browsers would probably act the same, or that
> there be some sort of explicit control over how the UA handles
> overflowing page areas.  At the very least, saying "clip" or "auto",
> with "auto" meaning "do what you want, in this order of priority" (the
> priority list can continue to put "clip" at the end then).

I think you have an out, in the text that says, "the user agent may
wish to consult the user...". I consider myself consulted whenever I
type command-P and a box of options comes up. Three of those options
correspond with overriding numbers 1-3 on that list (I choose the
paper size, paper orientation, and scale). Number 4 is what actually
happens if the page box is bigger than the sheet of paper (or what the
printer driver thnks the sheet of paper is, anyway). Thus, if I select
a scale of 200%, the page will be tiled to two pages for the right and
left sides of the page ("'spilling' onto other page sheets"). Safari
also will do automatic scaling down of everything in order to try to
fit contents that are too wide (such as a paragraph that is 12in wide
on an 8.5" width sheet), but only up to a point (around 50%, looks
like), then it clips.

Clipping is what happens in the non-printable areas of the sheet, I
think, when the page box and sheet size are the same.

> 2. Can we depend on setting "@page { margin: 0; }" to mean that the
> page area is the entire size of the page?

The page area could have borders around it...

> It's understood that the
> printer itself has device limitations on how close to the paper edge
> it can print, but we'd like to still be able to position things
> directly from the paper edge.  The relevant part is the last paragraph
> of section 7.0, "It is recommended that user agents establish a
> default page margin via the user agent stylesheet that includes any
> non-printable area. It is further recommended  that authors assume
> that the default page area will not include unprintable regions.".
> This only sets the default page margin, but stills allows it to be
> overridden to be smaller than this, and thus to include unprintable
> regions within the page area, correct?

I don't see anything that would prevent an author or user style sheet
from overriding the UA values, so that page margins could be outside
the printable area.