Re: Another cut on the Character-Transform Property

Richard Fink wrote:

>> text-elevation

> I counter with:
> text-relation

I don't find either of these terms descriptive or even suggestive of
superscript and subscript (leaving aside ordinals as simply a special
case of superscript). In the first place, we're not talking about doing
something to the text but about characters within the text (an example
of actual text elevation and relative positioning would be Ruby
notation). In the second place, elevation describes half of what happens
in superscript, and none of what happens in subscript.

Thinking more about 'script-style' -- which has precedence at least
among typesetters of mathematics (in MS math layout, there is even an
OTL feature called Script Style <ssty>, which accesses -script glyph
variants that may be scaled and positioned according to font-level
constants) --, and thinking about the etymologies of superscript and
subscript -- literally 'above writing' and 'below writing' --, I'm
leaning toward something like

	relative-script
or
	reduced-script