Re: [css3-2d-transforms] transforming inline elements

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:23:50 +0200, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:

> 1) Single rotated letter

> 2) Rotated word

> The correct alignment is not going to be automatic. I think the behavior
> will be as follows: an inline element with a transform is implicitly
> turned into an inline-block first, then transformed, and the bottom of
> the bounding box of the result is put on the baseline.

> (Splitting the inline element over several lines first and then rotating
> each box seems not necessary. It is already unreadable enough on a
> single line.)

(I touched upon this question in
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Sep/0121.html>)

> 3) Rotated heading
>
> A 90° rotated header, displayed to the side of the text to which it
> applies:
>
>     The opposite of stereo   ᴟ
>     is mono.  It has fewer   ᴑ
>     letters and thus needs   ᴝ
>     fewer  loudspeakers as   ᴑ
>     well, of course.
>
> I expect this can be done with
>
>     h2 {transform: rotate(270deg); float: right}

(This should be 90deg, as in the rotated letter case)

It seems that the assumption in the quoted post is that transforms happen
early on and other properties modify the layout of the transformed
element, whereas the current draft still only covers the opposite approach
of transforming after normal layout has happened.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA