Re: [css3-ui]? Proposal for ::error pseudoelement

On Aug 25, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> If you have 300 inputs (lots of forms like that out there, in fact),
> or 2000 (I've seen multiple bug reports on forms like _that_ as
> well), and they do validation, then having to scroll around looking
> for that one input where the error happened is a terrible user
> experience. For this setup, centralizing the error list in one place
> and focusing inputs (scrolling to them and highlighting them) when
> one of the errors is clicked is the only sane way to go.

Hopefully, the browser will be doing real-time in-line validation,
instead of waiting for the form to be submitted. In such a case, there
is less need for a centralized error list (although it might also be
handy to have one as a menu or something in the UA UI, for people who
pay less attention to the messages they get while typing).

I just read an excellent ALA article about this, from Sept. 1, which
should be required reading for anyone involved in these issues:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/inline-validation-in-web-forms/