Re: [css3-transitions] When do transition property changes change already-running transitions?

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:45 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> And it seems entirely reasonable, and probably most visually
> desirable, to run transitions to completion on the same animation
> function and timing that they started with.
>

> However, authors sometimes want to stop currently running
> transitions.  I think the solution here that imposes the least
> inconsistency is the spec saying that running transitions should
> stop if the 'transition-property' value changes such that the
> property/element pair would no longer transition.  This appears to
> be what WebKit does, and is what I plan to implement in Mozilla.

Agreed with both of these.  Based on my personal and observed use of
transitions via jQuery and other mechanisms, there's really no need to
vary the function/timing of an animation partway through.  However, it
*is* necessary to be able to stop a partially-completed transition,
either to freeze it as it is or to immediately reverse it.