Re: [css3-background] Preparing for Last Call

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 21:54:50 +0200, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>> Formula
>>  The latest editor's draft created one undefined case, viz., when the
>> image is wider than 200% of the background positioning area. In that
>> case, round(W/X) evaluates to 0 and the formula thus contains a
>> division by zero.
>
> The draft explicitly defines round() in this formula to return the
> nearest *natural* number rather than the nearest whole number, so it
> will never evaluate to zero.

Although I remember being taught that the set of natural numbers is the
set of all (non-zero) positive integers, there apparently exists a second
convention which includes 0 (see e.g.
<http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NaturalNumber.html>).

Personally I don't find it immediately obvious that "positive integer"
excludes zero either, so I would suggest replacing "natural number" with
something like "non-zero natural number" or "integer > 0".

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA