Re: Border-Images and 'round': CSS Backgrounds and Borders Module Level 3

Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2009, at 11:59 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I really don't have a problem with the UA deciding whether to upscale
>> or downscale here, since it's a fairly small difference anyway.  But I
>> agree that the upscaling problems are pretty small, so it wouldn't be
>> a bad thing to use a strict algorithm that treated all images equally.
>
> Yeah, my view is that the distortion problems when doing large
> downscaling are worse that the resolution problems when doing small to
> medium upscaling. So even if the algorithm didn't favor downscaling, the
> upscaling would not be bad enough to worry about.

Been thinking about this, and I think you're right. For border-image and
double-constrained background images, this would cause significantly more
distortion because the other dimension is fixed at this point.

If I was better with graphics I'd draw a picture to illustrate this. :)
But imagining a row of stars 5, the last one of which only 1/3 fits.
If the height wasn't constrained, we could just shrink the stars so
you'd get 5 small stars, which is still ok. But that's not the case.
We'd have to shrink the stars a lot width-wise, but height-wise they
can't change. So they'd turn into 5 rather anorexic stars, rather than
only 4 slightly overweight ones.

So I'm leaning towards just straight-up rounding at this point.
Bert, comments?

~fantasai