Re: Individual properties for text-shadow and box-shadow

On Friday 2009-11-20 17:21 -0500, Dave Methvin wrote:
> We have a discussion thread going in the jQuery Dev group [1] about the CSS3
> text-shadow property and how it might be used in jQuery. Because of the
> proposed syntax for this attribute [2,3] it would be complex to parse in
> Javascript.

For what it's worth, the syntax is a little more than proposed, it's
been in call-for-implementations for almost 11 years, since CSS2
became a REC:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/text.html#text-shadow-props

There are also two other arguments to consider:

(1) Splitting something into subproperties can limit future
extensibility.  It's often done in order to add a bunch of new
features (and thus say that that one direction is how the property
is being extended).  I'd be somewhat hesitant to do it without
adding features.

(2) The separation of properties ought to be determined by what the
unit of cascading should be.  In other words, if authors would
regularly want one part of the property to come from one source and
another part to come from another source, then separate properties
are desirable, but if the author almost always wants all the parts
to come from a single place, it's *better* as a single property.

And, as has already been mentioned, a number of working group
members are concerned about the dramatic increase in the number of
CSS properties.

I also think text-shadow is relatively straightforward to parse.

-David